Professor Keith Horner BChD, MSc, PhD, Odont Dr (hc), FDSRCPSGlasg, FRCR, DDR,
Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Imaging
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)161 275 6726
- Alternative Telephone: +44 (0) 161 275 6692 (X-ray Dept., Dental Hospital)
- Fax: +44 (0) 161 275 6636
University Dental Hospital of Manchester,
Higher Cambridge Street,
Manchester M15 6FH,
Teaching and research within the School of Dentistry at The University of Manchester and and clinical work in the hospitals of Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust .
Memberships of Committees and Professional Bodies
British Society of Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology.
International Association of Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology.
European Academy of Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology.
British Dental Association.
Royal College of Radiologists.
European Society of Radiology.
My research is focussed on two broad areas: Aspects of new dental imaging technologies, particularly dental Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) and the interface between dentistry and osteoporosis.
I acted as Co-ordinator for the 7th Euratom Framework project SEDENTEXCT (Safety and Efficacy of a New and Emerging Dental X-ray Imaging Modality) from 2008-2011. This project was a multidisciplinary programme of research covering all aspects of dental CBCT. The project outputs included a set of comprehensive European Guidelines on dental CBCT (shortly to be published in the European Commission's "Radiation Protection" series of documents), dosimetry studies, a commercially available quality assurance phantom, diagnostic accuracy studies, economic evaluation and an online learning resource. More about SEDENTEXCT can be found at teh project website on www.sedentexct.eu.
The interface between dentistry and osteoporosis has been explored through a series of studies, funded by grants from the EC 5th Framework ("OSTEODENT" project), the National Osteoporosis Society and other sources. Collaboration with imaging scientists has been key to the success in this area. An important output has been the development of automated image analysis tools to permit dentists to identify women at high risk of osteoporosis from their dental radiographs. In parallel with this research we have studied the dental health implications of osteoporosis.
Keith Horner qualified as a dentist in 1981 from Leeds University and held several junior hospital posts in Leeds and Sheffield. In 1984 he became a student again, undertaking a one year Master's degree in Experimental Oral Pathology at the London Hospital Medical College Dental Institute. Subsequently, he began specialist training in Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology at King's College Hospital and the Eastman Dental Hospital in London in the 1980s, leading to the award of his specialist Diploma. He moved to Manchester in 1988 as Lecturer, being granted Consultant status in 1990, Senior Lecturer in 1992 and a personal Chair in 2001. He has over 100 research publications and substantial grant income. He has acted as co-ordinator for two European Commission Framework projects. His research interests include osteoporosis and its dental implications, dosimetry and Cone Beam CT. He led the development of European Guidelines on Radiation Protection in Dental Radiology, published by the European Commission in 2004. Recently he led the SEDENTEXCT European project on the Safety and Efficacy of dental Cone Beam CT, producing a number of key scientific publications, evidence-based guidelines and a quality assurance programme. He has served on influential working parties in the UK (Health Protection Agency; FGDP[UK]) and acted as an invited expert for the IAEA Radiation Patient of Patients Unit. He was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Odontology degree by the University of Malmo, Sweden, in 2008.
March 1981: B.Ch.D. (Hons.), Leeds University.
September 1984: Fellow in Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, (F.D.S., R.C.P.S., Glasgow).
November 1985: M.Sc., London University
October 1987: Diploma in Dental Radiology of the Royal College of Radiologists, (D.D.R.R.C.R.)
June 1997: Ph.D., Manchester University.
July 2001: Fellowship of the Royal College of Radiologists (FRCR) without examination.
October 2008: Odont Dr; Doctor of Odontology (honoris causa), Malmo University, Sweden.
- Christell H, Birch S, Hedesiu M, Horner K, Ivanauskaité D, Nackaerts O, Rohlin M, Lindh C,The SEDENTEXCT Project Consortium. (2012). Variation in costs of cone beam CT examinations among health care systems. Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, eScholarID:168847
- Christell H, Birch S, Horner K, Rohlin M, Lindh C; SEDENTEXCT consortium. (2012). A framework for costing diagnostic methods in oral health care: an application comparing a new imaging technology with the conventional approach for maxillary canines with eruption disturbances. Dentomaxillofac Radiol, 40(4), 351-361. eScholarID:172905
- Guerrero ME, Nackaerts O, Beinsberger J, Horner K, Schoenaers J, Jacobs R; SEDENTEXCT Project Consortium. (2012). Inferior alveolar nerve sensory disturbance after impacted mandibular third molar evaluation using cone beam computed tomography and panoramic radiography: a pilot study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 70(10), 2264-2270. eScholarID:175047 | DOI:10.1016/j.joms.2012.04.015
- Harris D, Horner K, Gröndahl K, Jacobs R, Helmrot E, Benic GI, Bornstein MM, Dawood A, Quirynen M. (2012). E.A.O. guidelines for the use of diagnostic imaging in implant dentistry 2011. A consensus workshop organized by the European Association for Osseointegration at the Medical University of Warsaw. Clin Oral Implants Res, eScholarID:172907 | DOI:doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0501.2012.02441.x.
- Pauwels R, Beinsberger J, Stamatakis H, Tsiklakis K, Walker A, Bosmans H, Bogaerts R, Jacobs R, Horner K; The SEDENTEXCT Project Consortium. (2012). Comparison of spatial and contrast resolution for cone-beam computed tomography scanners. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol, 114(1), 127-135. eScholarID:175046
- Pauwels R, Beinsberger J, Stamatakis H, Tsiklakis K, Walker A, Bosmans H, Bogaerts R, Jacobs R, Horner K; The SEDENTEXCT Project Consortium. (2012). Dose distribution for dental cone beam CT and its implication for defining a dose index. Dentomaxillofac Radiol, 41(7), 583-593. eScholarID:175045 | DOI:10.1259/dmfr/20920453
- Pepelassi E, Nicopoulou-Karayianni K, Archontopoulou A, Mitsea A, Kavadella A, Tsiklakis K, Vrotsos I, Devlin H, Horner K. (2012). The relationship between osteoporosis and periodontitis in women aged 45-70 years. Oral Diseases, 18(4), 353-359. eScholarID:168840 | DOI:10.1111/j.1601-0825.2011.01881.x
- Shelley AM, Brunton P, Horner K. (2012). Questionnaire surveys of dentists on radiology. Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, 41(4), 267-275. eScholarID:168845 | DOI:10.1259/dmfr/58627082
- Theodorakou C, Walker A, Horner K, Pauwels R, Bogaerts R, Jacobs R, The SEDENTEXCT Project Consortium. (2012). Estimation of paediatric organ and effective doses from dental cone beam computed tomography using anthropomorphic phantoms. British Journal of Radiology, 85(1010), 153-160. eScholarID:168835 | DOI:10.1259/bjr/19389412
- SEDENTEXCT Guideline Development Panel. (2012). Radiation Protection 172. Evidence Based Guidelines on Cone Beam CT for Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology. Luxembourg: European Commission: Directorate-General for Energy. eScholarID:168864
- (2011). Radiation Protection 167. International Symposium on Non-medical Imaging (Proceedings of the Symposium held in Dublin on 8-9 October 2009). Presented at International Symposium on Non-medical Imaging. Dublin on 8-9 October 2009: European Commission: Directorate-General for Energy. eScholarID:168858
- Macneill M. (2011). Justification of Medical Exposure in Diagnostic Imaging. Presented at International Workshop on Justification of Medical Exposure in Diagnostic Imaging. Brussels: International Atomic Energy Agency. eScholarID:173240
- Pauwels R, Stamatakis H, Bosmans H, Bogaerts R, Jacobs R, Horner K, Tsiklakis K. (2011). Quantification of metal artifacts on cone beam comuted tomography images. Clin Oral Implants Res, eScholarID:172903 | DOI:doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0501.2011.02382.x.
- Pauwels R, Stamatakis H, Manousaridis G, Walker A, Michielsen K, Bosmans H, Bogaerts R, Jacobs R, Horner K, Tsiklakis K, The SEDENTEXCT Project Consortium. (2011). Development and applicability of a quality control phantom for dental cone-beam CT. J Applied Clin Med Physics, 12(4), 245-260. eScholarID:168830
- Shelley AM, Brunton P, Horner K. (2011). Subjective image quality assessment of cross sectional imaging methods for the symphyseal region of the mandible prior to dental implant placement. Journal of Dentistry, 39(11), 764-770. eScholarID:168829 | DOI:10.1016/j.jdent.2011.08.008
- Alissa R, Esposito M, Horner K, Oliver R. (2010). The influence of platelet-rich plasma on the healing of extraction sockets: an explorative randomised clinical trial. Eur J Oral Implantol, 3(2), 121-134. eScholarID:105533
- Horner, K., Allen, P., Graham, J., Jacobs, R., Boonen, S., Pavitt, S., Nackaerts, O., Marjanovic, E., Adams, J., Karayianni, K., Lindh, C., van der Stelt, P. & Devlin, H (2010). The relationship between the OSTEODENT index and hip fracture risk assessment using FRAX. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 110(2), 243-9. eScholarID:105523 | PMID:20659701 | DOI:10.1016/j.tripleo.2010.03.035
- HPA Working party on dental cone beam CT equipment. (2010). Guidance on the Safe Use of Dental Cone Beam CT (Computed Tomography) Equipment. Chilton, Didcot, Oxfordshire: Health Protection Agency. eScholarID:168853
- Alissa R, Sakka S, Oliver R, Horner K, Esposito M, Worthington HV, Coulthard P. (2009). Influence of ibuprofen on bone healing around dental implants: a randomised double-blind placebo-controlled clinical study. Eur J Oral Implantol, 2(3), 185-199. eScholarID:83947
- Horner K, Islam M, Flygare L, Tsiklakis K, Whaites E. (2009). Basic principles for use of dental cone beam computed tomography: consensus guidelines of the European Academy of Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology. Dentomaxillofac Radiol, 38(4), 187-195. eScholarID:75926 | DOI:10.1259/dmfr/74941012
- Nackaerts, O, Horner, K, Jacobs, R, Karayianni, K, Mitsea, A, Berkas, L, Mastoris, M, Lindh, C, van der Stelt, P, Marjanovic, E, Adams, JE, Pavitt, SSH, Devlin, H. (2009). Is self-reported alcohol consumption associated with osteoporotic mandibular bone loss in women? Eur J Oral Sci, 117( 1), eScholarID:1d18873 | DOI:10.1111/j.1600-0722.2008.00596.x
- Patel S, Dawood A, Wilson R, Horner K, Mannocci F. (2009). The detection and management of root resorption lesions using intraoral radiography and cone beam computed tomography - an in vivo investigation. Int Endod J, 42(9), 831-838. eScholarID:75924 | DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2591.2009.01592.x
- Isaacson KG, Thom AR, Horner K, Whaites E. (2008). Guidelines for the use of radiographs in clinical orthodontics. London: British Orthodontic Society. eScholarID:168850
- Devlin H, Horner K. (2007). A study to assess the relative influence of age and edentulousness upon mandibular bone mineral density in female subjects. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology, 104, 117-121. eScholarID:1d14484 | DOI:10.1016/j.tripleo.2006.06.061
- Devlin, H, Karayianni, K, Mitsea, A, Jacobs, R, Lindh, C, van der Stelt, P, Marjanovic, E, Adams, J, Pavitt, SSH, Horner, K. (2007). Diagnosing osteoporosis by using dental panoramic radiographs: The OSTEODENT project. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, eScholarID:1d15716 | DOI:10.1016/j.tripleo.2006.12.027
- Geraets, W, Verheij, J, van der Stelt, P, Horner, K, Lindh, C, Nicopoulou-Karayianni, K, Jacobs, R, Harrison, E, Adams, J, Devlin, H. (2007). Prediction of bone mineral density with dental radiographs. Bone, eScholarID:1d15314 | DOI:10.1016/j.bone.2007.01.009
- Horner, K, Karayianni, K, Mitsea, A, Berkas, L, Mastoris, M, Jacobs, R, Lindh, C, van der Stelt, P, Marjanovic, E, Adams, J, Pavitt, SSH, Devlin, H. (2007). The Mandibular Cortex on Radiographs as a Tool for Osteoporosis Risk Assessment: The OSTEODENT Project. J Clin Densitom, eScholarID:1d15714 | DOI:10.1016/j.jocd.2007.02.004
- Karayianni, K, Horner, K, Mitsea, A, Berkas, L, Mastoris, M, Jacobs, R, Lindh, C, van der Stelt, P, Harrison, E, Adams, J, Pavitt, SSH, Devlin, H. (2007). Accuracy in osteoporosis diagnosis of a combination of mandibular cortical width measurement on dental panoramic radiographs and a clinical risk index (OSIRIS): The OSTEODENT project. Bone, eScholarID:1d13857 | DOI:10.1016/j.bone.2006.07.025
- Kazzi D, Horner K, Qualtrough AJ E, Martinez-Beneyto Y, Rushton VE. (2007). A comparative study of three periapical radiographic techniques for endodontic working length estimation. Int Endod J, eScholarID:1d15712
- Li J, Li H, Shi L, Fok AS, Ucer C, Devlin H, Horner K, Silikas N. (2007). A mathematical model for simulating the bone remodeling process under mechanical stimulus. Dent Mater, 23(9), 1073-1078. eScholarID:1d14383 | DOI:10.1016/j.dental.2006.10.004
- Dutra V, Devlin H, Susin C, Yang J, Horner K, Fernandes A. (2006). Mandibular morphological changes in low bone mass edentulous females: evaluation of panoramic radiographs. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 102( 5), 663-8. eScholarID:1d14104
- O Nackaerts, R Jacobs, M Pillen, L Engelen, F Gijbels, Devlin, H, C Lindh, K Nicopoulou-Karayianni, P van der Stelt, Horner, K. (2006). Accuracy and precision of a densitometric tool for jaw bone. Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, eScholarID:1d26937 | DOI:10.1259/dmfr/71134064
- Bhaskaran V, Qualtrough AJ E, Rushton VE, Worthington HV, Horner K. (2005). A laboratory comparison of three imaging systems for image quality and radiation exposure characteristics. Int Endod J, 38(9), 645-652. eScholarID:1d11155 | DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2591.2005.00998.x
- Aggarwal VR, Sloan P, Horner K, Macfarlane TV, Clancy T, Evans DDGR, Thakker NS. (2003). Dento-osseous changes as diagnostic markers in familial adenomatous polyposis families. Oral Diseases, 9, 29-33. eScholarID:1d24241 | DOI:10.1034/j.1601-0825.2003.00894.x
- Devlin H, Horner K. (2002). Mandibular radiomorphometric indices in the diagnosis of reduced skeletal bone mineral density. Osteoporosis International, 13, 373-378. eScholarID:1d2227 | DOI:10.1007/s001980200042
- Horner K, Devlin H, Harvey L. (2002). Detecting patients with low skeletal bone mass. Journal Of Dentistry, 30, 171-175. eScholarID:1d24244 | DOI:10.1016/S0300-5712(02)00010-6