Dr Rebecca Craven PhD, MPH, BDS, FDS RCPS, FDS (DPH) RCPS, DDPHRCS, FFPH
Lecturer/Consultant in Dental Health
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)161 275 8945
- Fax: +44 (0) 161 306 0221
I am Lecturer in Dental Health, Programme Director for the Postgraduate programmes in Dental Public Health and year lead for year 1 of the BDS Programme.
I also work as Consultant in Dental Public Health, providing advice to several primary care organisations in Greater Manchester.
For several years I was an assessor for the Intercollegiate Specialty Fellowship Exam and Programme Director for Higher Specialty Training in Dental Public Health in the North West.
My main focus is now on teaching and learning. I was previously a member of the Oral Health Unit within the National Primary Care Research and Development Centre (NPCRDC). My research interests included:
• identifying the impact of oral health problems on quality of life
• oral health of older people
• benefits of water fluoridation in adults
• developing evidence-based guidelines for practice.
Research income has been around £110,000 with over 35 refereed publications and 10 higher degrees supervised.
For those new to research in the field of public health and primary health care the Master programme offers an excellent introduction. Please see http://www.dentistry.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught for more information about postgraduate programmes.
- Programme Director MDPH/MRes, University of Manchester
- External examiner for BDS programme, Peninsula Collegeof Medicine & Dentistry
- External examiner for the MPH programme, The University of Glasgow
- Year lead, BDS year 1, University of Manchester
I qualified BDS from Bristol in 1980. Following 5 years in the Community Dental Service in Huddersfield, I had hospital jobs in Cardiff and Glasgow. After obtaining FDS, further training followed in Dental Public Health at the University of Glasgow and general dental practice. In 1990 I was appointed Lecturer at the University of Dublin Dental School and joined the staff at Manchester in 1992. In 1997 I graduated PhD and completed higher training in the specialty then in 2002 was ordained as an Anglican priest. In 2007 I was elected a Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health.
- Tamošiūnas V, Kay E, Craven R. (2013). A preliminary study applying decision analysis to the treatment of caries in primary teeth. Stomatologija, 15(3), 84-92. eScholarID:237110
- Kay E, Craven R. (2008). Promoting oral health in populations. In Fejerskov O, Kidd E (Ed.), Dental Caries. (pp. 475-486). Oxford: Blackwell Munksgaard Ltd. eScholarID:81074
- Lowe C, Blinkhorn AS, Worthington HV, Craven RC. (2007). Testing the effect of including oral health in general health checks for elderly patients in medical practice - a randomized controlled trial. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 35(1), 12-17. eScholarID:1d15075 | DOI:10.1111/j.1600-0528.2007.00360.x
- Macfarlane TV, Blinkhorn AS, Craven RC, Zakrzewska J, Atkin P, Escudier M, Rooney CA, Aggarwal VR, Macfarlane G. (2004). Can one predict the likely specific orofacial pain syndrome from a self-completed questionnaire? Pain, 111( 3), 270-7. eScholarID:1d8938 | DOI:10.1016/j.pain.2004.07.002
- Pine C, Burnside G, Craven RC. (2003). Inequalities in dental health in the North-West of England. Community Dental Health, 20, 55-56. eScholarID:1d25497
- Preston S, Davies GM, Craven RC. (2001). An investigation of parents' attitudes to dental health and school dental screening. Community Dent Health, 18( 2), 105-9. eScholarID:1d7912
- Tickle M, Craven RC, Milsom K.M, Kay EJ. (2001). The relative effects of residential and school environments on the dental caries experience of 5- and 12-year old children in the North West of England. Health Education Journal, 60, 120-126. eScholarID:1d1664 | DOI:10.1177/001789690106000203
- Blinkhorn AS, Clarkson J.E, Craven RC, Holloway P.J, Worthington HV. (2000). An evaluation of a training programme in primary care research for general dental practitioners. British Dental Journal, 188, 333-336. eScholarID:1d1662
- Briggs L.A, Craven RC. (2000). Reproductive health needs among male partners of pregnant adolescents in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. International Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 38, 151-154. eScholarID:1d1663