Dr Rebecca Craven PhD, MPH, BDS, FDS RCPS, FDS (DPH) RCPS, DDPHRCS, FFPH
Senior Lecturer/Academic Consultant in Dental Health
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)161 275 8945
- Fax: +44 (0) 161 306 0221
I am Senior Lecturer in Dental Health, Programme Director for the Postgraduate programmes in Dental Public Health and year lead for year 1 of the BDS Programme.
I also work as an Academic Consultant in Dental Public Health, providing advice and support to Public Health England.
For several years I was an assessor for the Intercollegiate Specialty Fellowship Exam and Programme Director for Higher Specialty Training in Dental Public Health in the North West.
My main focus is now on teaching and learning. I was previously a member of the Oral Health Unit within the National Primary Care Research and Development Centre (NPCRDC). My research interests included:
• identifying the impact of oral health problems on quality of life
• oral health of older people
• benefits of water fluoridation in adults
• developing evidence-based guidelines for practice.
Research income has been around £110,000 with over 35 refereed publications and 10 higher degrees supervised.
For those new to research in the field of public health and primary health care the Master programme offers an excellent introduction. Please see http://www.dentistry.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught for more information about postgraduate programmes.
- Programme Director MDPH/MRes, University of Manchester
- External examiner for BDS programme, Peninsula Collegeof Medicine & Dentistry
- External examiner for the MPH programme, The University of Glasgow
- Year lead, BDS year 1, University of Manchester
I qualified BDS from Bristol in 1980. Following 5 years in the Community Dental Service in Huddersfield, I had hospital jobs in Cardiff and Glasgow. After obtaining FDS, further training followed in Dental Public Health at the University of Glasgow and general dental practice. In 1990 I was appointed Lecturer at the University of Dublin Dental School and joined the staff at Manchester in 1992. In 1997 I graduated PhD and completed higher training in the specialty then in 2002 was ordained as an Anglican priest. In 2007 I was elected a Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health.
- . Publication link: 18aee354-a197-48f2-afa6-f1eb9408cfec
Craven, R., Tamošiūnas, V., & Kay, E. (2013).A preliminary study applying decision analysis to the treatment of caries in primary teeth.Stomatologija, 15(3), 84-92.
- . Publication link: 1a132893-6381-4ab0-8d9b-8d43a6330c0e
Craven, R., Kay, E., Fejerskov, O. (Ed.), & Kidd, E. (Ed.) (2008).Promoting oral health in populations. In Dental Caries: The Disease and its Clinical Management. (2 ed., pp. 475-486). Oxford: Blackwell Munksgaard Ltd.
- . Publication link: c239bed1-5b3a-4179-ad03-ffce0df1d183
Lowe, C., Blinkhorn, A. S., Worthington, H. V., & Craven, R. (2007).Testing the effect of including oral health in general health checks for elderly patients in medical practice - A randomized controlled trial. Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 35(1), 12-17. DOI:10.1111/j.1600-0528.2007.00360.x
- . Publication link: 254ae56b-f70a-4eb6-a3f7-986b825e1cb0
Macfarlane, T. V., Blinkhorn, A. S., Craven, R., Zakrzewska, J. M., Atkin, P., Escudier, M. P., ... Macfarlane, G. J. (2004).Can one predict the likely specific orofacial pain syndrome from a self-completed questionnaire?. Pain, 111(3), 270-277. DOI:10.1016/j.pain.2004.07.002
- . Publication link: 7a952e45-ec9c-40e1-962e-43f6092591fb
Pine, C., Burnside, G., & Craven, R. (2003).Inequalities in dental health in the North-West of England. Community Dental Health, 20(1), 55-56.
- . Publication link: 8e497124-7572-44e4-82cb-6942ceed1f71
Preston, S. T., Davies, G. M., & Craven, R. (2001).An investigation of parents' attitudes to dental health and school dental screening. Community Dental Health, 18(2), 105-109.
- . Publication link: c7bdb98f-394e-49c0-be2a-90ba05d49a10
Tickle, M., Craven, R. J., Milsom, K. M., & Kay, E. J. (2001).The relative effects of residential and school environments on the dental caries experience of 5- And 12-year-old children in the north west of England. Health Education Journal, 60(2), 120-126. DOI:10.1177/001789690106000203
- . Publication link: 410c10a4-c526-46cb-ae9d-9d963021a2bb
Briggs, L. A., & Craven, R. C. (2000).Reproductive health needs among male partners of pregnant adolescents in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. International Journal of Health Promotion and Education, 38(4), 151-154.
- . Publication link: 1e890f05-e4a7-4da4-9d3a-510179d84aa2
Worthington, H. V., & Craven, R. C. (1998).Relationship between the care index and mean dmft/DMFT. Community Dental Health, 15(4), 248-251.
- . Publication link: 3a5620e5-8143-40e3-a6b9-a37203f82cde
Tickle, M., Craven, R., & Worthington, H. V. (1997).A comparison of the subjective oral health status of older adults from deprived and affluent communities. Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 25(3), 217-222.